Skip to Main Content
Red Pine in the Northern Lake StatesAuthor(s): Thomas L. Schmidt
Source: In: Gilmore, Daniel W.; Yount, Louise S., eds. Proceedings of the Red Pine SAF Region V Technical Conference; 2002 March 26-27; Cloquet, MN. Staff Pap. Ser. 157. St. Paul, MN: University of Minnesota, Department of Forest Resources, College of Natural Resources: 3-16.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.87 MB)
DescriptionRed pine is an important tree species for the Northern Lake States. About 4 percent of the total area of timberland is dominated by red pine but most other forest types also have red pine as a component. The red pine forest type in the region has dramatically increased in area since the 1930s. Stand-size class distribution of the red pine forest type has changed over time in the region to where currently; sawtimber-sized stands represent 41 percent of the total red pine forest type acreage. Over time the total area of red pine has remained at about 60 percent privately owned. Stocking levels, total number of trees, growing-stock volume, average annual net growth, and average annual removals have all increased over time in this region. Currently, the region's average annual net growth for red pine is five times as high as its removals.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchmidt, Thomas L. 2003. Red Pine in the Northern Lake States. In: Gilmore, Daniel W.; Yount, Louise S., eds. Proceedings of the Red Pine SAF Region V Technical Conference; 2002 March 26-27; Cloquet, MN. Staff Pap. Ser. 157. St. Paul, MN: University of Minnesota, Department of Forest Resources, College of Natural Resources: 3-16.
KeywordsRed pine, area, volume, growth, change
- Forest floor and mineral soil respiration rates in a northern Minnesota red pine chronosequence
- Carbon stocks across a chronosequence of thinned and unmanaged red pine (Pinus resinosa) stands
- Relation of snowpack Accumulation to Red Pine Stocking
XML: View XML