Skip to Main Content
Impact of Urbanization and Enviromental Protection Policies on Timber Availibility: A GIS ApplicationAuthor(s): Donald G. Hodges; James T. Gunter; Christopher M. Swalm; James L. Regens
Source: Proceedings of the First International Conference Geospatial Information in Agriculture and Forestry, Vol. 1, 1-3 June 1998, Lake Buena Vist, Florida, USA
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (121 KB)
DescriptionThis study illustrates how remotely-sensed data and GIS can be utilized to allow planners to evaluate the relationship between land use, environmental protection policies, and resource availability. The case study examines St. Tammany Parish in Louisiana which has experienced tremendous population growth and land use change in the past two decades. To date, work has been completed on developing most of the coverages. The preliminary results indicate that applying remotely-sensed data on land use change and timber production potential allows planners to identify potential areas to maintain for timber production and other resource values. Future work will include evaluating the impact of population growth and environmental protection policies on timber availability.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHodges, Donald G.; Gunter, James T.; Swalm, Christopher M.; Regens, James L. 1998. Impact of Urbanization and Enviromental Protection Policies on Timber Availibility: A GIS Application. Proceedings of the First International Conference Geospatial Information in Agriculture and Forestry, Vol. 1, 1-3 June 1998, Lake Buena Vist, Florida, USA
- Utilizing GIS to Assess the Impact of Urbanization on Timberland Availibility in Southeastern Louisiana
- Remote sensing for restoration planning: how the big picture can inform stakeholders
- Sources and implications of bias and uncertainty in a century of US wildfire activity data
XML: View XML