Skip to Main Content
Procedures used to estimate hardwood lumber consumption from 1963 to 2002Author(s): William Luppold; Matthew Bumgardner
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-26. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 14 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (350.49 KB)
DescriptionThis paper presents an explanation for and procedures used to estimate hardwood lumber consumption by secondary hardwood processing industries from 1963 to 2002. This includes: classification of industry and industry groups, development of proxy prices used to estimate lumber consumption, assumptions used to convert dimension purchases to lumber consumption, estimation of material consumption by firms not reporting material consumption by kind, and estimation of lumber use in frame stock production. Also presented are the special procedures used to estimate lumber consumed by the hardwood flooring, kitchen cabinet, pallet, crosstie, and hardwood plywood industries. The equation on page 10, column 2 was revised on October 17, 2008.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLuppold, William; Bumgardner, Matthew. 2008. Procedures used to estimate hardwood lumber consumption from 1963 to 2002. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-26. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 14 p.
Keywordslumber demand, hardwood, secondary wood processors
- Gate-to-Gate Life-Cycle Inventory on Hardwood Sawmills in the Northeastern Region of the United States
- US hardwood lumber consumption and international trade from 1991 to 2014
- Life-cycle inventory of manufacturing hardwood lumber in Southeastern US
XML: View XML