Skip to Main Content
Estimation of U.S. Timber Harvest Using Roundwood EquivalentsAuthor(s): James Howard
Source: In: Proceedings of the sixth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2004 September 21-24; Denver, CO. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-70. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 126 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (204.63 KB)
DescriptionThis report details the procedure used to estimate the roundwood products portion of U.S. annual timber harvest levels by using roundwood equivalents. National-level U.S. forest products data published by trade associations and State and Federal Government organizations were used to estimate the roundwood equivalent of national roundwood products production. The procedure for estimating roundwood equivalent of roundwood products is to calculate the ?roundwood equivalent? of solid wood products using recovery factors estimated from mill studies over the years. The procedure for estimating roundwood equivalent of products provides a simple technique for estimating the major portion of national timber harvest levels that is less expensive than conducting surveys and can be done on an annual basis. This technique provides a benchmark that can be used in conjunction with the Forest Inventory and Analysis survey approach, which helps ensure the accuracy of both methods. These national harvest levels were estimated by working backwards from U.S. national timber products production data using lumber recovery factors to derive the roundwood equivalent of harvest.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHoward, James. 2006. Estimation of U.S. Timber Harvest Using Roundwood Equivalents. In: Proceedings of the sixth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2004 September 21-24; Denver, CO. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-70. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 126 p.
- Use of indexing to update United States annual timber harvest by state
- Timber products monitoring: unit of measure conversion factors for roundwood receiving facilities
- Relationships between harvest of American ginseng and hardwood timber production
XML: View XML