Skip to Main Content
A Model-Based Approach to Inventory StratificationAuthor(s): Ronald E. McRoberts
Source: In: Proceedings of the sixth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2004 September 21-24; Denver, CO. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-70. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 126p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (229.08 KB)
DescriptionForest inventory programs report estimates of forest variables for areas of interest ranging in size from municipalities to counties to States and Provinces. Classified satellite imagery has been shown to be an effective source of ancillary data that, when used with stratified estimation techniques, contributes to increased precision with little corresponding increase in costs. A new approach to stratification based on using satellite imagery and a logistic regression model to predict proportion forest area is proposed. The results suggest that precision may be substantially increased for estimates of proportion forest area and volume per unit area.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, Ronald E. 2006. A Model-Based Approach to Inventory Stratification. In: Proceedings of the sixth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2004 September 21-24; Denver, CO. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-70. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 126p.
- Using satellite imagery as ancillary data for increasing the precision of estimates for the Forest Inventory and Analysis program of the USDA Forest Service
- A Proposal for Phase 4 of the Forest Inventory and Analysis Program
- The effects of imperfect reference data on remote sensing-assisted estimators of land cover class proportions
XML: View XML