Skip to Main Content
New Method for Determining the Relative Stand Density of Forest Inventory PlotsAuthor(s): Christopher W. Woodall; Patrick D. Miles
Source: In: Proceedings of the sixth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2004 September 21-24; Denver, CO. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-70. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 126p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (152.85 KB)
DescriptionDetermining the relative density of Forest Inventory and Analysis plots is complicated by the various species and tree size combinations in the Nation?s forested ecosystems. Stand density index (SDI), although developed for use in even-aged monocultures, has been used for stand density assessment in largescale forest inventories. To improve application of SDI in uneven-aged, mixed species stands present in large-scale inventories, a model was developed whereby a stand?s maximum SDI was a function of the stand?s mean specific gravity (SG) of individual trees. A strong relationship was found between the mean SG of all trees in a stand and the 99th percentiles of the observed distribution of stand SDIs. A model is proposed whereby the mean SG of individual trees in a stand serves as a predictor of a stand?s maximum stocking potential, regardless of the stand?s diameter distribution and species composition.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, Christopher W.; Miles, Patrick D. 2006. New Method for Determining the Relative Stand Density of Forest Inventory Plots. In: Proceedings of the sixth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2004 September 21-24; Denver, CO. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-70. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 126p.
- Determining maximum stand density index in mixed species stands for strategic-scale stocking assessments
- The relative density of forests in the United States
- Consistent definition and application of Reineke's Stand Density Index in silviculture and stand projection
XML: View XML