Skip to Main Content
Considerations in Forest Growth Estimation Between Two Measurements of Mapped Forest Inventory PlotsAuthor(s): Michael T. Thompson
Source: In: Proceedings of the sixth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2004 September 21-24; Denver, CO. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-70. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 126p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (379.04 KB)
DescriptionSeveral aspects of the enhanced Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program?s national plot design complicate change estimation. The design incorporates up to three separate plot sizes (microplot, subplot, and macroplot) to sample trees of different sizes. Because multiple plot sizes are involved, change estimators designed for polyareal plot sampling, such as those used for horizontal point sampling, is still required. The differences between two such estimators FIA has favored in the past are discussed. The condition-class mapping feature of the new design further complicates change estimation. These complications are discussed, and alternatives to simplify the design are proposed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThompson, Michael T. 2006. Considerations in Forest Growth Estimation Between Two Measurements of Mapped Forest Inventory Plots. In: Proceedings of the sixth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2004 September 21-24; Denver, CO. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-70. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 126p.
- Using Classified Landsat Thematic Mapper Data for Stratification in a Statewide Forest Inventory
- Using classified Landsat Thematic Mapper data for stratification in a statewide forest inventory
- Estimating forest floor fuels in eastern U.S. forests
XML: View XML