Skip to Main Content
K-Nearest Neighbor Estimation of Forest Attributes: Improving Mapping EfficiencyAuthor(s): Andrew O. Finley; Alan R. Ek; Yun Bai; Marvin E. Bauer
Source: In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (154.14 KB)
DescriptionThis paper describes our efforts in refining k-nearest neighbor forest attributes classification using U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service Forest Inventory and Analysis plot data and Landsat 7 Enhanced Thematic Mapper Plus imagery. The analysis focuses on FIA-defined forest type classification across St. Louis County in northeastern Minnesota. We outline three steps in the classification process that highlight improvements in mapping efficiency: (1) using transformed divergence for spectral feature selection, (2) applying a mathematical rule for reducing the nearest neighbor search set, and (3) using a database to reduce redundant nearest neighbor searches. Our trials suggest that when combined, these approaches can reduce mapping time by half without significant loss of accuracy.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFinley, Andrew O.; Ek, Alan R.; Bai, Yun; Bauer, Marvin E. 2005. K-Nearest Neighbor Estimation of Forest Attributes: Improving Mapping Efficiency. In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
- yaImpute: An R package for kNN imputation
- Applying an efficient K-nearest neighbor search to forest attribute imputation
- Landscape scale mapping of forest inventory data by nearest neighbor classification
XML: View XML