Skip to Main Content
Proof of Concept for an Approach to a Finer Resolution InventoryAuthor(s): Chris J. Cieszewski; Kim Iles; Roger C. Lowe; Michal Zasada
Source: In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (114.75 KB)
DescriptionThis report presents a proof of concept for a statistical framework to develop a timely, accurate, and unbiased fiber supply assessment in the State of Georgia, U.S.A. The proposed approach is based on using various data sources and modeling techniques to calibrate satellite image-based statewide stand lists, which provide initial estimates for a State inventory on a common timeline. The system is based on using Georgia ground inventory data from the forest products industry, enhanced by various geographic information system and remote sensing data, and applied with the k-th ?nearest neighbor? methods to time-series-stratified satellite imagery. The initial estimates are then scaled regionally to the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) summary totals to eliminate potential bias in the initial estimates. The system enhances the FIA inventory data in four significant ways. First, it removes the need for the specific FIA plot coordinates; although, the coordinates, if available, would probably enhance the analysis. Second, it provides a current common timeline of inventory estimates based on the Landsat Thematic Mapper imagery for the given year and season. Third, it provides currently accurate high-resolution area estimates. Last, it uses various auxiliary data available from private and public sources in the State and can easily take advantage of other data as they become available.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCieszewski, Chris J.; Iles, Kim; Lowe, Roger C.; Zasada, Michal. 2005. Proof of Concept for an Approach to a Finer Resolution Inventory. In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
- The use of remote sensing for updating extensive forest inventories
- Impact of Stream Management Zones and Road Beautifying Buffers on Long-Term Fiber Supply in Georgia
- Applications of the United States Forest Inventory and Analysis dataset: A review and future directions
XML: View XML