Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Northeastern FIA Tree Taper Study: Current Status and Future WorkAuthor(s): James A. Westfall; Charles T. Scott
Source: In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (129.51 KB)
DescriptionThe northeastern unit of the Forest Inventory and Analysis program (NE-FIA) is engaged in an ongoing project to develop regionwide tree taper equations. Sampling intensity is based on NE-FIA plot data and is stratified by species, diameter class, and height class. To date, modeling research has been aimed largely at evaluating existing model forms (and hybrids thereof) and incorporating mixed-effects parameters to account for correlations among measurements. In conjunction with the taper study, bark thickness estimates are being developed from wood utilization studies. When fully implemented, the bark thickness/taper equation system will provide a wide range of analytical flexibility for tree species in northeastern forests, and may reduce or eliminate the costs of collecting data on merchantable heights.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWestfall, James A.; Scott, Charles T. 2005. Northeastern FIA Tree Taper Study: Current Status and Future Work. In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
- Modifying Taper-Derived Merchantable Height Estimates to Account for Tree Characteristics
- Mesavage and Girard form class taper functions derived from profile equations
- Taper equation and volume tables for plantation-grown red alder.
XML: View XML