Skip to Main Content
FIA Quality Assurance Program: Evaluation of a Tree Matching Algorithm for Paired Forest Inventory DataAuthor(s): James E. Pollard; James A. Westfall; Paul A. Patterson; David L. Gartner
Source: In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (128.77 KB)
DescriptionThe quality of Forest Inventory and Analysis inventory data can be documented by having quality assurance crews remeasure plots originally measured by field crews within 2 to 3 weeks of the initial measurement, and assessing the difference between the original and remeasured data. Estimates of measurement uncertainty for the data are generated using paired data statistical analyses. Because plot remeasurements are taken at different, but similar, times by different crews, it can be difficult to match the remeasured trees with the original tree measurements. In the past, this process required a laborious exercise of manual review and assignment of matching codes for the paired tree measurements. An automated process for matching tree data was developed and tested using a previously hand-matched data set. Results of the two matching processes were compared. More than 95 percent of the individual trees could be reliably matched using the automated matching program. The effects of unmatched data being excluded from the uncertainty analysis was minimal.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPollard, James E.; Westfall, James A.; Patterson, Paul A.; Gartner, David L. 2005. FIA Quality Assurance Program: Evaluation of a Tree Matching Algorithm for Paired Forest Inventory Data. In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
- Forest Inventory and Analysis National Data Quality Assessment Report for 2000 to 2003
- Precise FIA plot registration using field and dense LIDAR data
- Maintaining the confidentiality of plot locations by exploiting the low sensitivity of forest structure models to different spectral extraction kernels
XML: View XML