Skip to Main Content
Allocating Fire Mitigation Funds on the Basis of the Predicted Probabilities of Forest WildfireAuthor(s): Ronald E. McRoberts; Greg C. Liknes; Mark D. Nelson; Krista M. Gebert; R. James Barbour; Susan L. Odell; Steven C. Yaddof
Source: In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (130.7 KB)
DescriptionA logistic regression model was used with map-based information to predict the probability of forest fire for forested areas of the United States. Model parameters were estimated using a digital layer depicting the locations of wildfires and satellite imagery depicting thermal hotspots. The area of the United States in the upper 50th percentile with respect to predicted probability of forest wildfire was intersected with areas within 25 miles of rural communities needing economic assistance using a geographic information system. The proportion of total forest wildfire mitigation funds to be allocated to each national forest region was calculated as the ratio of intersected area in the region to all intersected areas nationwide.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, Ronald E.; Liknes, Greg C.; Nelson, Mark D.; Gebert, Krista M.; Barbour, R. James; Odell, Susan L.; Yaddof, Steven C. 2005. Allocating Fire Mitigation Funds on the Basis of the Predicted Probabilities of Forest Wildfire. In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
- Forests on the edge: evaluating contributions of and threats to America's private forest lands
- Probabilistic assessment of wildfire hazard and municipal watershed exposure
- A Bayesian approach to multisource forest area estimation
XML: View XML