Skip to Main Content
Accuracy Assessment of FIA's Nationwide Biomass Mapping Products: Results From the North Central FIA RegionAuthor(s): Geoffrey R. Holden; Mark D. Nelson; Ronald E. McRoberts
Source: In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (163.05 KB)
DescriptionThe Remote Sensing Band of the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program has developed a nationwide map of forest biomass to be distributed as a geospatial raster data set with 250-meter spatial resolution. The accuracy of the forest biomass map depends on both an intermediate forest/nonforest classification and the biomass estimation. For the North Central FIA region, we assessed the accuracy of the forest classification and biomass estimation using three approaches: (1) per pixel percent correctly classified; (2) comparisons of pixel- and FIA plot-based estimations within delineated areas; and (3) utility for stratified estimation of FIA attributes. Results showed the forest/nonforest map to be accurate based on all three assessments, while the forest biomass map performed well only for area estimates.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHolden, Geoffrey R.; Nelson, Mark D.; McRoberts, Ronald E. 2005. Accuracy Assessment of FIA''s Nationwide Biomass Mapping Products: Results From the North Central FIA Region. In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
- Analyzing Landsat time-series data across adjacent path/rows and across multiple cycles of FIA: Lessons learned in southern Missouri
- The effect of using complete and partial forested FIA plot data on biomass and forested area classifications from MODIS satellite data
- A comparison of FIA plot data derived from image pixels and image objects
XML: View XML