Skip to Main Content
Extending and Intensifying the FIA Inventory of Down Forest Fuels: Boundary Waters Canoe Area and Pictured Rocks National LakeshoreAuthor(s): Christopher W. Woodall; Bruce Leutscher
Source: In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (169.1 KB)
DescriptionThe sampling design for the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program of the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service allows intensification of fuel inventory sampling in areas of ?special interest? and implementation of fuel sampling protocol by non-FIA personnel. The objective of this study is to evaluate the contribution of sampling intensification/extension toward furthering multiscale fire science investigations in two case study areas. In the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan, adoption of FIA?s fuel sampling protocols increased inventory efficiencies while linking local fuel estimates to the system of FIA plots. In Minnesota's Boundary Waters Canoe Area, results indicate that 100- and 1,000-hr fuel loadings in wilderness blowdown areas may be twice those of the surrounding forest ecosystem. Both case studies illustrate the potential for the FIA program to provide estimates of fuels and facilitate local fire science initiatives and fuel inventories.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, Christopher W.; Leutscher, Bruce. 2005. Extending and Intensifying the FIA Inventory of Down Forest Fuels: Boundary Waters Canoe Area and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
- Measurement repeatability of a large-scale inventory of forest fuels
- Forests of South Dakota, 2017
XML: View XML