Skip to Main Content
Comparison of Programs Used for FIA Inventory Information Dissemination and Spatial RepresentationAuthor(s): Roger C. Lowe; Chris J. Cieszewski
Source: In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (258.4 KB)
DescriptionSix online applications developed for the interactive display of Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) data in which FIA database information and query results can be viewed as or selected from interactive geographic maps are compared. The programs evaluated are the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service?s online systems; a SAS server-based mapping system developed by the Cooperative Extension Service at the University of Georgia (UGA); and three online applications developed at the D.B. Warnell School of Forest Resources, UGA: HTML and Javabased ESRI ArcIMS applications, HTML-based hypermaps, and a prototype Macromedia Flash-based application. Our study compared the following features in these Web applications: application scope, data resolution, number of available layers, number of variables, reporting capabilities, user interaction capabilities, and user interaction timing.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLowe , Roger C.; Cieszewski, Chris J. 2005. Comparison of Programs Used for FIA Inventory Information Dissemination and Spatial Representation. In: Proceedings of the fifth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; 2003 November 18-20; New Orleans, LA. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-69. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. 222p.
- New functions and programs in Hypermap software development for internet-based displaying of FIA data
- DIY visualizations: opportunities for story-telling with esri tools
- SOLE: enhanced FIA data analysis capabilities
XML: View XML