Skip to Main Content
Computer planning tools applied to a cable logging research studyAuthor(s): Chris B. LeDoux; Penn A. Peters
Source: In: Proceedings, Improving mountain logging planning, techniques and hardware, a joint symposium of the IUFRO, Mountain Logging Section and the Sixth Pacific Northwest Skyline Logging Symposium; 1985 May 8-11; Vancouver, B.C.: 51-55
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1000.79 KB)
DescriptionContemporary harvest planning software was used in planning the layout of cable logging units for a production study of the Clearwater Yarder in upstate New York. Planning software, including payload analysis and digital terrain models, allowed researchers to identify layout and yarding problems before the experiment. Analysis of proposed ground profiles pinpointed the need for constructed landings, and guidelines for rigging tail and lift trees, and helped define felling and bucking strategies to maximize payload. Considerations in unit layout and yarding strategy not considered by the planning software also are discussed. The harvest planning software proved a valuable tool for cable logging unit layout and design.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLeDoux, Chris B.; Peters, Penn A. 1985. Computer planning tools applied to a cable logging research study. In: Proceedings, Improving mountain logging planning, techniques and hardware, a joint symposium of the IUFRO, Mountain Logging Section and the Sixth Pacific Northwest Skyline Logging Symposium; 1985 May 8-11; Vancouver, B.C.: 51-55
KeywordsComputer Software, Cable Logging Planning
- The SKYTOWER and SKYMOBILE programs for locating and designing skyline harvest units.
- Bucking logs to cable yarder capacity can decrease yarding costs and minimize wood wastage
- Preliminary logging analysis system (PLANS): overview.
XML: View XML