Skip to Main Content
Applications of a stump-to-mill computer model to cable logging planningAuthor(s): Chris B. LeDoux
Source: In: Proceedings of the forestry microcomputer software symposium; 1986 June 30- July 2; Morgantown, WV. Morgantown, WV: West Virginia University: 395-401
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (962.74 KB)
DescriptionLogging cost simulators and data from logging cost studies have been assembled and converted into a series of simple equations that can be used to estimate the stump-to-mill cost of cable logging in mountainous terrain of the Eastern United States. These equations are based on the use of two small and four medium-sized cable yarders and are applicable for harvests of timber from 6 t o 24 inches in diameter. Cost components can be easily calculated on a hand-held calculator. A computer program that could be adapted to many desktop and microcomputers is available that will calculate the total stump-to-mill logging cost for a specified set of logging conditions. The paper focuses on the application of the stump-to-mill computer model to actual East Coast forest conditions.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLeDoux, Chris B. 1986. Applications of a stump-to-mill computer model to cable logging planning. In: Proceedings of the forestry microcomputer software symposium; 1986 June 30- July 2; Morgantown, WV. Morgantown, WV: West Virginia University: 395-401
- Stump-to-mill timber production cost equations for cable logging eastern hardwoods
- Stump-to-truck cable logging cost equations for young-growth douglas-fir
- Predicting bunching costs for the Radio Horse 9 winch
XML: View XML