Skip to Main Content
A stump-to-mill timber production cost-estimating program for cable logging eastern hardwoodsAuthor(s): Chris B. LeDoux
Source: The Compiler 5(4):33-34
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (457.97 KB)
DescriptionECOST utilizes data from stand inventory, cruise data, and the logging plan for the tract in question. The program produces detailed stump-to-mill cost estimates for specific proposed timber sales. These estimates are then utilized, in combination with specific landowner objectives, to assess the economic feasibility of cable logging a given area. The program output is summarized in tabular format by harvesting component, and the input parameters are also echoed in a summary table. The manager, logger, or planner can use the estimates in their cable logging planning efforts. The ECOST program also provides comparison of alternative harvesting machines; equipment selection; timber stand prescription planning; and, linked with a suitable growth model, optimization of silvicultural investment analysis and break-even analysis.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLeDoux, Chris B. 1987. A stump-to-mill timber production cost-estimating program for cable logging eastern hardwoods. The Compiler 5(4):33-34
- A stump-to-truck cost estimating program for cable logging young-growth Douglas-fir
- Stump-to-mill timber production cost equations for cable logging eastern hardwoods
- Preliminary logging analysis system (PLANS): overview.
XML: View XML