Skip to Main Content
Background for AFIS, the Annual Forrest Inventory SystemAuthor(s): Ronald E. McRoberts
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C., eds. Proceedings of the First Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-213. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 1-4
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (398.93 KB)
DescriptionThe Annual Forest Inventory System. AFIS, was jointly proposed and developed in the early 1990s by the Forest Inventory and Analysis programs of the North Central and Rocky Mountain Research Stations of the USDA Forest Service and the Forestry Division of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. The objective of AFIS was to establish the capability of producing standard statewide inventory estimates on an annual basis. The context in which AFIS was proposed was defined by two crucial constraints: the average annual cost could be no greater than that of periodic inventories and the precision of estimates could be no less than that obtained from periodic inventories. The system designed to achieve the objective while simultaneously satisfying the constraints included an annual sample of measured field plots, satellite-based remote sensing for area estimation and vegetation change detection, growth and mortality models for updating plots measured in previous years, and computerized databases of field plot information.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, Ronald E. 2000. Background for AFIS, the Annual Forrest Inventory System. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C., eds. Proceedings of the First Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-213. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 1-4
- Selection of plot remeasurement in an annual inventory
- Selection of Plot Remeasurement in an Annual Inventory
- Austrian National Forest Inventory: caught in the past and heading toward the future
XML: View XML