Skip to Main Content
Comparison of three annual inventory designs, a periodic design, and a midcycle designAuthor(s): Stanford L. Arner
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C., eds. Proceedings of the First Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-213. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 31
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (48.06 KB)
DescriptionThree annual inventory designs, a periodic design, and a periodic measurement with midcycle update design are compared using a population created from 14,754 remeasured Forest Inventory and Analysis plots. Two of the annual designs and the midcycle update design allow updating of plots using sampling with partial replacement procedures. Individual year and moving average estimates are determined. The moving average estimates are compared to both the population means of the most recent year used in the average, and to population averages covering the same period as the estimate. Comparisons for net cubic-foot volume per acre and annual change in volume are based on root mean square error (RMSE) and estimator bias. Among annual designs, the rotating panel design produced the smallest RMSE for volume. For multiple year comparisons, the rotating panel and periodic designs resulted in the smallest RMSE's, while for single year comparisons, the periodic design resulted in the smallest RMSE. For annual change, the smallest RMSE's were produced by the periodic design, while among annual designs, the rotating panel design resulted in the smallest RMSE's for multiple year comparisons, and the rotating panel and balanced annual partial remeasurement designs resulted in the smallest RMSE's for single year comparisons.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationArner, Stanford L. 2000. Comparison of three annual inventory designs, a periodic design, and a midcycle design. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C., eds. Proceedings of the First Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-213. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 31
- Compatible estimators of the components of change for a rotating panel forest inventory design
- Comparison of Kalman filters in combining panel data from the annual inventory system of the South Korea National Forest Inventory
- Alternative sampling designs and estimators for annual surveys
XML: View XML