Skip to Main Content
SAFIS area estimation techniquesAuthor(s): Gregory A. Reams
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C., eds. Proceedings of the First Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-213. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 32-36
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (430.25 KB)
DescriptionThe Southern Annual Forest Inventory System (SAFIS) is in various stages of implementation in 8 of the 13 southern states served by the Southern Research Station of the USDA Forest Service. Compared to periodic inventories, SAFIS requires more rapid generation of land use and land cover maps. The current photo system for phase one area estimation has changed little over the last four decades and provides area estimates within the precision requirements of the FIA program. A stated goal of the national FIA program is to eventually replace photo interpretation with digital satellite classification because the photo system cannot produce maps of forest and nonforest area, and it takes an enormous amount of time to photo interpret the phase one photo plots. Using automated classification procedures for TM satellite data, we anticipate that the time to complete phase one will decline and wall-to-wall maps will be available. In the interim period of switching to satellite data, the photo system must be modified to provide current estimates of inventory. A method being used by Southern FIA is documented.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationReams, Gregory A. 2000. SAFIS area estimation techniques. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C., eds. Proceedings of the First Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-213. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 32-36
- SAFIS Area Estimation Techniques
- The Southern Annual Forest Inventory System
- The use of multiple imputation in the Southern Annual Forest Inventory System
XML: View XML