Skip to Main Content
Diameter growth models using FIA data from the Northeastern, Southern, and North Central Research StationsAuthor(s): Veronica C. Lessard; Ronald E. McRoberts; Margaret R. Holdaway
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C., eds. Proceedings of the First Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-213. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 37-42
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (557.01 KB)
DescriptionNonlinear, individual-tree, distance-independent annual diameter growth models are presented for species in two ecoregions defined by R.G. Bailey in the northern Lake States and in parts of the central and southern regions of the U.S. The models were calibrated using Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) data from undisturbed plots on land classified as timberland across all ownership categories. The data were generally from stands of mixed age and mixed species. The dependent variable is average annual diameter growth and the independent variables include crown ratio, crown class, stand basal area, stand basal area larger than the subject tree, physiographic class, and latitude and longitude of plot locations. The models have minimal bias and may be recalibrated easily to include new data sets.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLessard, Veronica C.; McRoberts, Ronald E.; Holdaway, Margaret R. 2000. Diameter growth models using FIA data from the Northeastern, Southern, and North Central Research Stations. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C., eds. Proceedings of the First Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-213. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 37-42
- Diameter Growth Models Using Minnesota Forest Inventory and Analysis Data
- Updating Indiana Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Plot Data Using Eastern Broadleaf Forest Diameter Growth Models
- Basal area growth for 15 tropical tree species in Puerto Rico
XML: View XML