Skip to Main Content
Annual Forest Inventory: An Industry PerspectiveAuthor(s): Roger Lord
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C., eds. Proceedings of the First Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-213. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 49-54
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (543.23 KB)
DescriptionThe Forest Inventory and Analysis Program serves important public interests by providing credible data for informed public forest policy debates as well as feedback to the forest-based economic market. This feedback, which affects timber price expectations, helps ensure resource sustainability by promoting better investment decision making within the forest products sector. Industry's use of FIA data is illustrated by the types of analysis performed by Boise Cascade Corporation. Key needs include more timely and consistent data across all forestlands, improved spatial resolution, and integration of socioeconomic variables that affect timber availability. Concerns about the implementation of the annual inventory program required by the 1998 Farm Bill, particularly in the western states, are discussed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLord , Roger. 2000. Annual Forest Inventory: An Industry Perspective. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C., eds. Proceedings of the First Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-213. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 49-54
- Benefits of a strategic national forest inventory to science and society: the USDA Forest Service Forest Inventory and Analysis program
- Relationships between harvest of American ginseng and hardwood timber production
- Sampling protocol, estimation, and analysis procedures for the down woody materials indicator of the FIA program
XML: View XML