Skip to Main Content
General Constraints on Sampling Wildlife on FIA PlotsAuthor(s): Larissa L. Bailey; John R. Sauer; James D. Nichols; Paul H. Geissler
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 1-5
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (108.39 KB)
DescriptionThis paper reviews the constraints to sampling wildlife populations at FIA points. Wildlife sampling programs must have well-defined goals and provide information adequate to meet those goals. Investigators should choose a State variable based on information needs and the spatial sampling scale. We discuss estimation-based methods for three State variables: species richness, abundance, and patch occupancy. All methods incorporate two essential sources of variation: detectability estimation and spatial variation. FIA sampling imposes specific space and time criteria that may need to be adjusted to meet local wildlife objectives.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBailey, Larissa L.; Sauer, John R.; Nichols, James D.; Geissler, Paul H. 2005. General Constraints on Sampling Wildlife on FIA Plots. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 1-5
- Nevada Photo-Based Inventory Pilot (NPIP) photo sampling procedures
- Mapping forest inventory and analysis data attributes within the framework of double sampling for stratification design
- Statistical Aspects of Point Count Sampling
XML: View XML