Skip to Main Content
Measuring Tree Seedlings and Associated Understory Vegetation in Pennsylvania's ForestsAuthor(s): William H. McWilliams; Todd W. Bowersox; Patrick H. Brose; Daniel A. Devlin; James C. Finley; Kurt W. Gottschalk; Steve Horsley; Susan L. King; Brian M. LaPoint; Tonya W. Lister; Larry H. McCormick; Gary W. Miller; Charles T. Scott; Harry Steele; Kim C. Steiner; Susan L. Stout; James A. Westfall; Robert L. White
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 21-26
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (437.4 KB)
DescriptionThe Northeastern Research Station's Forest Inventory and Analysis (NE-FIA) unit is conducting the Pennsylvania Regeneration Study (PRS) to evaluate composition and abundance of tree seedlings and associated vegetation. Sampling methods for the PRS were tested and developed in a pilot study to determine the appropriate number of 2-m microplots needed to capture variability in seedling abundance. The findings resulted in a decision to use one 2-m fixed-radius microplot per 7.3-m fixed-radius subplot of the NE-FIA design. Preliminary results indicate that one-half to two-thirds of the region's forests would require remedial treatment if preferred species are the management objective.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcWilliams, William H.; Bowersox, Todd W.; Brose, Patrick H.; Devlin, Daniel A.; Finley, James C.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Horsley, Steve; King, Susan L.; LaPoint, Brian M.; Lister, Tonya W.; McCormick, Larry H.; Miller, Gary W.; Scott, Charles T.; Steele, Harry; Steiner, Kim C.; Stout, Susan L.; Westfall, James A.; White , Robert L. 2005. Measuring Tree Seedlings and Associated Understory Vegetation in Pennsylvania''s Forests. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 21-26
- Sampling forest regeneration across northern U.S. forests: filling a void in regeneration model input
- Point Counts Modifications and Breeding Bird Abundances in Central Appalachian Forests
- Information for forest process models: a review of NRS-FIA vegetation measurements
XML: View XML