Skip to Main Content
Quantifying Forest Ground Flora Biomass Using Close-range Remote SensingAuthor(s): Paul F. Doruska; Robert C. Weih; Matthew D. Lane; Don C. Bragg
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 87-90
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (202.99 KB)
DescriptionClose-range remote sensing was used to estimate biomass of forest ground flora in Arkansas. Digital images of a series of 1-m² plots were taken using Kodak DCS760 and Kodak DCS420CIR digital cameras. ESRI ArcGIS and ERDAS Imagine® software was used to calculate the Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI) and the Average Visible Reflectance (AVR) index for each plot. Regressions, developed to estimate green and dry biomass from the NDVI and/or AVR values, explained 30-40 percent of the variation. A vegetation mask and/or different independent variables are needed to improve the regression models.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDoruska, Paul F.; Weih, Robert C.; Lane, Matthew D.; Bragg, Don C. 2005. Quantifying Forest Ground Flora Biomass Using Close-range Remote Sensing. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 87-90
- Quantifying forest ground flora biomass using proximal sensing
- Linking phenological indices from digital cameras in Idaho and Montana to MODIS NDVI
- New biomass estimates for chaparral-dominated Southern California landscapes
XML: View XML