Skip to Main Content
Spatially Locating FIA Plots from Pixel ValuesAuthor(s): Greg C. Liknes; Geoffrey R. Holden; Mark D. Nelson; Ronald E. McRoberts
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 99-103
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (439.2 KB)
DescriptionThe USDA Forest Service Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program is required to ensure the confidentiality of the geographic locations of plots. To accommodate user requests for data without releasing actual plot coordinates, FIA creates overlays of plot locations on various geospatial data, including satellite imagery. Methods for reporting pixel values associated with FIA plots that reduce the likelihood of inadvertent release of plot locations were tested. The number of plots that can be correctly located using only pixel values was reduced by perturbing image band values, averaging band values of neighboring pixels, and reducing the number of image bands.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLiknes, Greg C.; Holden, Geoffrey R.; Nelson, Mark D.; McRoberts, Ronald E. 2005. Spatially Locating FIA Plots from Pixel Values. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 99-103
- Stratifying FIA Ground Plots Using A 3-Year Old MRLC Forest Cover Map and Current TM Derived Variables Selected By "Decision Tree" Classification
- Progress in adapting k-NN methods for forest mapping and estimation using the new annual Forest Inventory and Analysis data
- Estimating number and size of forest patches from FIA plot data
XML: View XML