Skip to Main Content
Use of Semivariances for Studies of Landsat TM Image Textural Properties of Loblolly Pine ForestsAuthor(s): Jarek Zawadzki; Chris J. Cieszewski; Roger C. Lowe; Michael Zasada
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 129-134
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (185.92 KB)
DescriptionWe evaluate the applicability of Landsat TM imagery for analyzing textural information of pine forest images by exploring the spatial correlation between pixels measured by semivariances and cross-semivariances calculated from transects of the Landsat TM images. Then, we explore differences in semivariances associated with images of young, middle-aged, and old, and natural versus planted stands. Finally, we compare semivariances for loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) with those of longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) in Georgia, U.S.A. The results show that, in spite of the low Landsat TM resolution, the semivariances and cross-semivariances may provide useful additional information.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZawadzki, Jarek; Cieszewski, Chris J.; Lowe , Roger C.; Zasada, Michael. 2005. Use of Semivariances for Studies of Landsat TM Image Textural Properties of Loblolly Pine Forests. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 129-134
- Hurricane Katrina winds damaged longleaf pine less than loblolly pine
- Fertilizer responses of longleaf pine trees within a loblolly pine plantation: separating direct effects from competition effects
- Restoring Upland Forests to Longleaf Pine: Initial Effects on Fuel Load, Fire Danger, Forest Vegetation, and Beetle Populations
XML: View XML