Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Coordination, Cooperation, and Collaboration between FIA and NRIAuthor(s): Raymond L. Czaplewski; James Rack; Veronica C. Lessard; David F. Heinzen; Susan Ploetz; Thomas L. Schmidt; Earl C. Leatherberry
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 141-148
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (609.67 KB)
DescriptionThe USDA Forest Service conducts a detailed survey of the Nation's forests through the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program. The USDA Natural Resources Service conducts an entirely separate survey, the National Resources Inventory (NRI), to monitor status and trends in the Nation's soil and other natural resources. Blue Ribbon Panels for both FIA and NRI have recommended better cooperation and collaboration. In response, a joint venture among the State of Minnesota, the U.S. Geological Survey, NRI, and FIA searched for potential synergies by fusing FIA and NRI plot data with Landsat imagery and a statewide geographic information system. FIA and NRI plot data did prove useful as training data for classifying land cover, and as supplemental labeling data for detecting changes with multi-date Landsat imagery.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCzaplewski, Raymond L.; Rack, James; Lessard, Veronica C.; Heinzen, David F.; Ploetz, Susan; Schmidt, Thomas L.; Leatherberry, Earl C. 2005. Coordination, Cooperation, and Collaboration between FIA and NRI. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 141-148
- Inventorying trees in agricultural landscapes: towards an accounting of working trees
- Inventorying trees in agricultural landscapes: toward an accounting of working trees
- Data estimation and prediction for natural resources public data
XML: View XML