Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Strategies for Preserving Owner Privacy in the National Information Management System of the USDA Forest Service's Forest Inventory and Analysis UnitAuthor(s): Andrew Lister; Charles Scott; Susan King; Michael Hoppus; Brett Butler; Douglas Griffith
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 163-166
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (299.75 KB)
DescriptionThe Food Security Act of 1985 prohibits the disclosure of any information collected by the USDA Forest Service's FIA program that would link individual landowners to inventory plot information. To address this, we developed a technique based on a "swapping" procedure in which plots with similar characteristics are exchanged, and on a "fuzzing" procedure in which the geographic locations of the plots are randomly perturbed by 805 m. A simulation experiment was performed to assess the effects of fuzzing and swapping. Our results indicate the procedures can provide meaningful information and comply with the law. Further refinements of the technique are ongoing.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLister, Andrew; Scott, Charles; King, Susan; Hoppus, Michael; Butler, Brett ; Griffith, Douglas. 2005. Strategies for Preserving Owner Privacy in the National Information Management System of the USDA Forest Service''s Forest Inventory and Analysis Unit. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 163-166
- Using SaTScanTM spatial-scan software with national forest inventory data: a case study in South Carolina
- Phase 2 and phase 3 presentation grids
- Analysis issues due to mapped conditions changing over time
XML: View XML