Skip to Main Content
Modeling Missing Remeasurement Tree Heights in Forest Inventory DataAuthor(s): Raymond M. Sheffield; Callie J. Schweitzer
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 181-186
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (133.32 KB)
DescriptionMissing tree heights are often problematic in compiling forest inventory remeasurement data. Heights for cut and mortality trees are usually not available; calculations of removal or mortality volumes must utilize either a modeled height at the time of tree death or the height assigned to the tree at a previous remeasurement. Less often, tree heights are not available for trees that were determined to be missed tally trees in an initial inventory. In these cases, a height is available for the current measurement, but the initial tree height must be modeled or estimated. In this paper, we present a procedure for predicting either a time 1 or time 2 height. The procedure uses actual tree height information for a tree collected at time 1 or time 2 if available. Incorporating the relationship between actual tree height to predicted height provides for an adjustment to height equations that do not incorporate site quality and stand parameters.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSheffield, Raymond M.; Schweitzer, Callie J. 2005. Modeling Missing Remeasurement Tree Heights in Forest Inventory Data. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 181-186
- Modeling missing remeasurement tree heights in forest inventory data
- Evaluating a model to predict timber harvesting in Austria
- LIDAR forest inventory with single-tree, double- and single-phase procedures
XML: View XML