Skip to Main Content
Sensitivity Analysis of Down Woody Material Data Processing RoutinesAuthor(s): Christopher W. Woodall; Duncan C. Lutes
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 199-202
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (333.79 KB)
DescriptionWeight per unit area (load) estimates of Down Woody Material (DWM) are the most common requests by users of the USDA Forest Service's Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program's DWM inventory. Estimating of DWM loads requires the uniform compilation of DWM transect data for the entire United States. DWM weights may vary by species, level of decay, woody material type, and size. Additionally, weight estimates may vary by compilation constants and methods. To better facilitate DWM compilation routines, the effect of the variation in fuel processing routine constants and measurement error of variables on the resulting DWM load estimates was examined. Sensitivity analysis indicated that some compilation constants and measurement variables disproportionately influenced load estimates of DWM. More accurate and efficient estimates of DWM components may be acquired by identifying compilation constants and measurement variables that are the largest sources of variation in weight estimates.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, Christopher W.; Lutes, Duncan C. 2005. Sensitivity Analysis of Down Woody Material Data Processing Routines. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 199-202
- Sampling protocol, estimation, and analysis procedures for the down woody materials indicator of the FIA program
- Estimating forest floor fuels in eastern U.S. forests
- Linking Soils and Down Woody Material Inventories for Cohesive Assessments of Ecosystem Carbon Pools
XML: View XML