Skip to Main Content
Simulating Silvicultural Treatments Using FIA DataAuthor(s): Christopher W. Woodall; Carl E. Fiedler
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 203-207
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (229.46 KB)
DescriptionPotential uses of the Forest Inventory and Analysis Database (FIADB) extend far beyond descriptions and summaries of current forest resources. Silvicultural treatments, although typically conducted at the stand level, may be simulated using the FIADB for predicting future forest conditions and resources at broader scales. In this study, silvicultural prescription methodologies were simulated using FIA inventory plots from Montana that rated high for fire hazard. Database operations were used to couple the FIADB with the silvicultural prescriptions process, allowing successful simulation of silvicultural treatments. Cut- and leave-tree tables were created for each FIA sample plot using computer "marking" algorithms, allowing estimation of current and future forest attributes (volume, growth, wildfire hazard, and treatment costs). Simple database operations can be used to mimic complex silvicultural prescriptions using FIA inventory data from major ownerships, States, or regions, allowing evaluation of treatment effects and future forest conditions.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, Christopher W.; Fiedler, Carl E. 2005. Simulating Silvicultural Treatments Using FIA Data. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H.; Cieszewski, Chris J., eds. Proceedings of the fourth annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 203-207
- Forest inventory and analysis data for FVS modelers
- Statistics and quality assurance for the Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis Program, 2016
- Challenges of working with FIADB17 data: the SOLE experience
XML: View XML