Skip to Main Content
Annual forest inventory estimates based on the moving averageAuthor(s): Francis A. Roesch; James R. Steinman; Michael T. Thompson
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; Moser, John W., eds. Proceedings of the Thrid Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-230. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 21-30
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (157.46 KB)
DescriptionThree interpretations of the simple moving average estimator, as applied to the USDA Forest Service's annual forest inventory design, are presented. A corresponding approach to composite estimation over arbitrarily defined land areas and time intervals is given for each interpretation, under the assumption that the investigator is armed with only the spatial/temporal matrix of moving average estimates. The advantages and practical limitations of each interpretation are discussed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRoesch, Francis A.; Steinman, James R.; Thompson, Michael T. 2002. Annual forest inventory estimates based on the moving average. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; Moser, John W., eds. Proceedings of the Thrid Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-230. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 21-30
- Alternatives to the Moving Average
- Comparison of estimators for rolling samples using Forest Inventory and Analysis data
- Alternative sampling designs and estimators for annual surveys
XML: View XML