Skip to Main Content
A statistically valid method for using FIA plots to guide spectral class rejection in producing stratification mapsAuthor(s): Michael L. Hoppus; Andrew J. Lister
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; Moser, John W., eds. Proceedings of the Thrid Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-230. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 44-49
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (75.72 KB)
DescriptionA Landsat TM classification method (iterative guided spectral class rejection) produced a forest cover map of southern West Virginia that provided the stratification layer for producing estimates of timberland area from Forest Service FIA ground plots using a stratified sampling technique. These same high quality and expensive FIA ground plots provided ground reference data for the classification method. Dividing the counties in the southern portion of the state into two groups, and using the FIA plots in each county group to make the strata for the other, avoids the potential bias incurred by having the plots stratify themselves. This procedure achieved the required precision of 3 percent sampling error per million acres of timberland.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHoppus, Michael L.; Lister, Andrew J. 2002. A statistically valid method for using FIA plots to guide spectral class rejection in producing stratification maps. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; Moser, John W., eds. Proceedings of the Thrid Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-230. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 44-49
- Stratifying FIA Ground Plots Using A 3-Year Old MRLC Forest Cover Map and Current TM Derived Variables Selected By "Decision Tree" Classification
- Remote Sensing Precision Requirements For FIA Estimation
- Using classified Landsat Thematic Mapper data for stratification in a statewide forest inventory
XML: View XML