Skip to Main Content
Synergistic use of FIA plot data and Landsat 7 ETM+ images for large area forest mappingAuthor(s): Chengquan Huang; Limin Yang; Collin Homer; Michael Coan; Russell Rykhus; Zheng Zhang; Bruce Wylie; Kent Hegge; Andrew Lister; Michael Hoppus; Ronald Tymcio; Larry DeBlander; William Cooke; Ronald McRoberts; Daniel Wendt; Dale Weyermann
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; Moser, John W., eds. Proceedings of the Third Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-230. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 50-55.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (51.11 KB)
DescriptionFIA plot data were used to assist in classifying forest land cover from Landsat imagery and relevant ancillary data in two regions of the U.S.: one around the Chesapeake Bay area and the other around Utah. The overall accuracies for the forest/nonforest classification were over 90 percent and about 80 percent, respectively, in the two regions. The accuracies for deciduous/evergreen/mixed and forest type group classifications were around 80 percent and 65 percent, respectively, and were consistent in the two regions. These results suggest that use of FIA plot data together with satellite imagery and relevant ancillary data may substantially improve the efficiency, accuracy, and consistency of large area forest land cover mapping.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHuang, Chengquan; Yang, Limin; Homer, Collin; Coan, Michael; Rykhus, Russell; Zhang, Zheng; Wylie, Bruce; Hegge, Kent; Zhu, Zhiliang; Lister, Andrew; Hoppus, Michael; Tymcio, Ronald; DeBlander, Larry; Cooke, William; McRoberts, Ronald; Wendt, Daniel; Weyermann, Dale. 2002. Synergistic use of FIA plot data and Landsat 7 ETM+ images for large area forest mapping. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; Moser, John W., eds. Proceedings of the Third Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-230. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 50-55.
- Phase I Forest Area Estimation Using Landsat TM and Iterative Guided Spectral Class Rejection: Assessment of Possible Training Data Protocols
- Remote Sensing Precision Requirements For FIA Estimation
Predicting spatial distribution of privet (liguestrum spp.) in South Carolina from MODIS and forest inventory plot data
XML: View XML