Skip to Main Content
A 30-meter spatial database for the nation's forestsAuthor(s): Raymond L. Czaplewski
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; Moser, John W., eds. Proceedings of the Third Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-230. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 56-62.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (37.69 KB)
DescriptionThe FIA vision for remote sensing originated in 1992 with the Blue Ribbon Panel on FIA, and it has since evolved into an ambitious performance target for 2003. FIA is joining a consortium of Federal agencies to map the Nation's land cover. FIA field data will help produce a seamless, standardized, national geospatial database for forests at the scale of 30-m Landsat pixels. This database includes classifications of forest types, estimates of percent tree cover, and other land attributes that can be used in geospatial models for large-area assessments. Mapping of more detailed forest conditions is feasible.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCzaplewski, Raymond L. 2002. A 30-meter spatial database for the nation's forests. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; Moser, John W., eds. Proceedings of the Third Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-230. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 56-62.
- Combining forest inventory, satellite remote sensing, and geospatial data for mapping forest attributes of the conterminous United States
- Mapping Forest Inventory and Analysis forest land use: timberland, reserved forest land, and other forest land
- Forest Inventory and Analysis in the United States: Remote sensing and geospatial activities
XML: View XML