Skip to Main Content
Allometric scaling theory applied to FIA biomass estimationAuthor(s): David C. Chojnacky
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; Moser, John W., eds. Proceedings of the Thrid Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-230. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 96-102
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (820.59 KB)
DescriptionTree biomass estimates in the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) database are derived from numerous methodologies whose abundance and complexity raise questions about consistent results throughout the U.S. A new model based on allometric scaling theory ("WBE") offers simplified methodology and a theoretically sound basis for improving the reliability and usefulness of biomass estimation for all tree species. Although a complete test of the WBE theory is beyond the scope of this paper, implications of the theory are explored from results of another study consistent with WBE theory. Two interesting results were found: (1) a simplified approach using 10 generalized equations is within 10 to 40 percent of FIA county-scale biomass estimates, and (2) of the two methods, FIA's methodology appears more inconsistent from State to State.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChojnacky, David C. 2002. Allometric scaling theory applied to FIA biomass estimation. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; Moser, John W., eds. Proceedings of the Thrid Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-230. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 96-102
- Updated generalized biomass equations for North American tree species
- Building capacity for providing canopy cover and canopy height at FIA plot locations using high-resolution imagery and leaf-off LiDAR
- Assessing the uncertainty of forest carbon estimates using the FVS family of diameter increment equations
XML: View XML