Skip to Main Content
Techniques and Considerations for FIA forest fragmentation analysisAuthor(s): Andrew J. Lister; Tonya W. Lister; Rachel Riemann; Mike Hoppus
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; Moser, John W., eds. Proceedings of the Thrid Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-230. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 156-161
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (50.52 KB)
DescriptionThe Forest Inventory and Analysis unit of the Northeastern Research Station (NEFIA) is charged with inventorying and monitoring the Nation's forests. NEFIA has not gathered much information on forest fragmentation, but recent developments in computing and remote sensing technologies now make it possible to assess forest fragmentation on a regional basis. We describe several options for calculating landscape statistics and provide guidelines on their use.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLister, Andrew J.; Lister, Tonya W.; Riemann, Rachel; Hoppus, Mike. 2002. Techniques and Considerations for FIA forest fragmentation analysis. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; Moser, John W., eds. Proceedings of the Thrid Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-230. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 156-161
- Fragmentation statistics for FIA: designing an approach
- Use of FIA data and GIS to characterize the effects of fragmentation on the forests of New Hampshire
- FIA photointerpretation in Southern New England: a tool to determine forest fragmantation and proximity to human development.
XML: View XML