Skip to Main Content
Processing Maple Syrup with a Vapor Compression Distiller: An Economic AnalysisAuthor(s): Lawrence D. Garrett
Source: Res. Pap. NE-385. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 12p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.16 MB)
DescriptionA test of vapor compression distillers for processing maple syrup revealed that: (1) vapor compression equipment tested evaporated 1 pound of water with .047 pounds of steam equivalent (electrical energy); open-pan evaporators of similar capacity required 1.5 pounds of steam equivalent (oil energy) to produce 1 pound of water; (2) vapor compression evaporation produced a syrup equal in quality to that from a conventional open-pan evaporation plant; and (3) a central plant prodrucing 8,000 gallons of syrup per year should yield a return of 16 percent on investment. Increasing annual product output should increase the return on investment.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGarrett, Lawrence D. 1977. Processing Maple Syrup with a Vapor Compression Distiller: An Economic Analysis. Res. Pap. NE-385. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 12p.
- Increasing the Efficiency of Maple Sap Evaporators with Heat Exchangers
- A non-equilibrium model for soil heating and moisture transport during extreme surface heating: The soil (heat-moisture-vapor) HMV-Model Version
- A cost analysis: processing maple syrup products
XML: View XML