Skip to Main Content
Exploration for emerald ash borer in ChinaAuthor(s): Houping Liu; Toby R. Petrice; Leah S. Bauer; Robert A. Haack; Ruitong Gao; Tonghai Zhao
Source: In: Mastro, Victor; Reardon, Richard, comps. Emerald ash borer research and technology development meeting; 2003 September 30 - October 1; Port Huron, MI. FHTET 2004-03. Morgantown, WV: U.S. Forest Service, Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team: 20.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (17.99 KB)
DescriptionIn June 2002, the emerald ash borer (EAB), Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), native to several Asian countries, was identified as the cause of ash (Fraxinus spp.) mortality in greater than 2,500 square miles of southeastern Michigan and southwestern Ontario; more recent infestations were found in Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia in 2003. Federal and state agencies adopted a strategy of EAB eradication in North America. Should eradication fail, EAB management will require augmentation of existing natural enemies or introduction of EAB natural enemies from Asia. The only literature known for EAB is from China, where EAB is a sporadic pest of ash (Yu 1992); a braconid parasitoid, Spathius sp. (Hymenoptera: Braconidae), was recently reported from EAB in Tianjin Province in an ash plantation (Xu Gongtian 2003).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLiu, Houping; Petrice, Toby R.; Bauer, Leah S.; Haack, Robert A.; Gao, Ruitong; Zhao, Tonghai. 2003. Exploration for emerald ash borer in China. In: Mastro, Victor; Reardon, Richard, comps. Emerald ash borer research and technology development meeting; 2003 September 30 - October 1; Port Huron, MI. FHTET 2004-03. Morgantown, WV: U.S. Forest Service, Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team: 20.
- Update on emerald ash borer natural enemy surveys in Michigan and China
- Laboratory rearing of emerald ash borer
- Progress on biological control of emerald ash borer
XML: View XML