Skip to Main Content
Emerald ash borer life cycleAuthor(s): Leah S. Bauer; Robert A. Haack; Deborah L. Miller; Toby R. Petrice; Houping Liu
Source: In: Mastro, Victor; Reardon, Richard, comps. Proceedings of the emerald ash borer research and technology development meeting; 2003 September 30 - October 1; Port Huron, MI. FHTET 2004-02. Morgantown, WV: U.S. Forest Service, Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team: 8.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (17.72 KB)
DescriptionThe emerald ash borer (EAB), Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), native to several Asian countries, was discovered in southeastern Michigan and nearby Ontario in June of 2002. EAB was identified as the cause of extensive ash (Fraxinus spp.) mortality in approximately 2,500 mi2, and surveys revealed 6-7 million ash trees are dead and dying. Apparently EAB was inadvertently introduced approximately 5?10 years ago in infested solid wood packing materials or dunnage. In 2003, isolated EAB infestations were found throughout Michigan, northern Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia as a result of transportation of infested nursery stock, firewood, and ash timber. Limited information and literature are available for EAB because it is a minor pest in Asia.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBauer, Leah S.; Haack, Robert A.; Miller, Deborah L.; Petrice, Toby R.; Liu, Houping. 2003. Emerald ash borer life cycle. In: Mastro, Victor; Reardon, Richard, comps. Emerald ash borer research and technology development meeting; 2003 September 30 - October 1; Port Huron, MI. FHTET 2004-03. Morgantown, WV: U.S. Forest Service, Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team: 8.
- Flight potential of the emerald ash borer
- Laboratory rearing of emerald ash borer
- Emerald ash borer survival in firewood
XML: View XML