Skip to Main Content
Forest Productivity and Timber Supply Modeling in the SouthAuthor(s): Frederick Cubbage; Jacek Siry; Robert Abt; David N. Wear; Steverson Moffat
Source: Improving Forest Productivity for Timber...A Key to Sustainability: Conference Proceedings, Dec. 1-2, 1998
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (162 KB)
DescriptionThe South can increase forest productivity on industrial and nonindustrial private forest (NIPF) lands. As timber markets have improved and timber prices have increased, returns from intensive management are more profitable. The interaction of timber markets, inventory, and prices are analyzed in new southern timber supply models sponsored by the Southern Forest Resource Assessment Consortium (SOFAC). Current SOFAC efforts have focused on integrating southern models and model inputs with the national Renewable Resource Planning Act (RPA) timber assessment. SOFAC researchers have developed timber supply models that can analyze timber markets trends at the subregional (survey unit) level. Growth and yield analyses prepared for the RPA indicate that substantial increases in timber productivity can occur given current technology, if fully implemented. A survey about NIPF land management practices indicates that considerable adoption of increased management intensities is projected to occur. Even higher intensities can occur on forest industry lands in the South. If these potentials are realized, we will be able to provide adequate pine pulpwood supplies at reasonable prices in the future. Highquality softwoods and hardwoods will be less plentiful. Hardwood timber supply will be relatively scarcer in the future, as reflected in increasing real prices, despite having almost 5O% more standing inventory than softwoods currently.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCubbage, Frederick; Siry, Jacek; Abt, Robert; Wear, David N.; Moffat, Steverson. 1998. Forest Productivity and Timber Supply Modeling in the South. Improving Forest Productivity for Timber...A Key to Sustainability: Conference Proceedings, Dec. 1-2, 1998
- Southern Forest Resource Assessment and Linkages to the National RPA
- Projections of the U.S. timber supply and demand situation to 2050 : draft findings from the USDA Forest Service 2000 RPA Timber Assessment.
- An assessment of the industrial markets for softwood clearwood lumber.
XML: View XML