Skip to Main Content
Microbial control of the emerald ash borerAuthor(s): Leah S. Bauer; Houping Liu; Deborah L. Miller
Source: In: Mastro, Victor; Reardon, Richard, comps. Proceedings of the emerald ash borer research and technology development meeting; 2003 September 30 - October 1; Port Huron, MI. FHTET 2004-02. Morgantown, WV: U.S. Forest Service, Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team: 31-32.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (20.5 KB)
DescriptionIn June 2002, emerald ash borer (EAB), Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire, a buprestid native to several Asian countries, was identified as the causative agent of ash (Fraxinus spp.) mortality in southeastern Michigan and southwestern Ontario. Currently, the only method known to control EAB is limited to identifying and destroying infested trees. Conventional insecticides, when identified, will be broadly toxic, expensive, and may require handling by licensed applicators, making their widespread use in parks, woodlots, forests, wetlands, and riparian areas unlikely. Public acceptance remains high for microbial insecticides formulated with Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) and Beauveria bassiana due to good safety records and compatibility with other management strategies, including biocontrol.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBauer, Leah S.; Liu, Houping; Miller, Deborah L. 2003. Microbial control of the emerald ash borer. In: Mastro, Victor; Reardon, Richard, comps. Emerald ash borer research and technology development meeting; 2003 September 30 - October 1; Port Huron, MI. FHTET 2004-03. Morgantown, WV: U.S. Forest Service, Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team: 31-32.
- 2004 update on studies of Botanigard® for control of emerald ash borer adults and larvae
- Evaluation of Perma Guard D-20 and imidacloprid to control emerald ash borer
- Lethal trap trees: a potential option for emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire) management
XML: View XML