Skip to Main Content
Validation of the standardized and simplified cutting billAuthor(s): Urs Buehlmann; D. Earl Kline; Janice K. Wiedenbeck; R., Jr. Noble
Source: Wood and Fiber Science 40(2):202-213
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1013.37 KB)
DescriptionThis research validated the framework for the standardized and simplified cutting bill presented in an earlier paper. The cutting bill validation was carried out in two ways. First, all 20 of the cutting bill's part groups were examined to determine if significant yield influences resulted from changing specific part sizes within the boundaries of a given part group. Second, five cutting bills from industrial operations were fit into the framework of the cutting bill, and the simulated yields from these industrial cutting bills were compared with the fitted cutting bills. Yield differences between the two were calculated and tested for significance. Tests revealed that the standardized and simplified cutting bill framework performed as designed. The maximum yield difference observed was 2% and the average less than 1%. Clustering the industrial cutting bill part requirements according to the cutting bill framework led to an average absolute yield deviation between the original cutting bills and the clustered cutting bills of 3.25%. These results show while cutting bill part-size requirements can be clustered into part groups, yield differences of a certain magnitude are introduced by so doing.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBuehlmann, Urs; Kline, D. Earl; Wiedenbeck, Janice K.; Noble, R., Jr. 2008. Validation of the standardized and simplified cutting bill. Wood and Fiber Science 40(2):202-213
KeywordsCutting-bill requirements, lumber yield, rip-first rough mill, fractional-factorial design, standardized, simplified Buehlmann cutting bill, model validation
- The influence of cutting-bill requirements on lumber yield using a fractional-factorial design part II, correlation and number of part sizes
- Effect of cutting bill requirements on lumber yield in a rip-first rough mill
- Creating a standardized and simplified cutting bill using group technology
XML: View XML