Skip to Main Content
Comparing line-intersect, fixed-area, and point relascope sampling for dead and downed coarse woody material in a managed northern hardwood forestAuthor(s): G. J. Jordan; M. J. Ducey; J. H. Gove
Source: Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 34: 1766-1775.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (764.81 KB)
DescriptionWe present the results of a timed field trial comparing the bias characteristics and relative sampling efficiency of line-intersect, fixed-area, and point relascope sampling for downed coarse woody material. Seven stands in a managed northern hardwood forest in New Hampshire were inventoried. Significant differences were found among estimates in some stands, indicating a potential for difference in bias in field implementation of the methods. In terms of relative sampling efficiency, results for each method varied among stand. However, point relascope sampling had comparable or better time efficiency than the other methods in most stands.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJordan, G. J.; Ducey, M. J.; Gove, J. H. 2004. Comparing line-intersect, fixed-area, and point relascope sampling for dead and downed coarse woody material in a managed northern hardwood forest. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 34: 1766-1775.
- A field test of point relascope sampling of down coarse woody material in managed stands in the Acadian Forest
- Correction for slope in point and transect relascope sampling of downed coarse woody debris
- Critical point relascope sampling for unbiased volume estimation of downed coarse woody debris
XML: View XML