Skip to Main Content
Hardwood sawmill downtime costsAuthor(s): Jan Wiedenbeck; Kyle Blackwell
Source: Southern Lumberman 27-30
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (983.04 KB)
DescriptionHow time flies when you don't pay attention to it. With hardwood sawmill operating costs ranging from $4 to $25 per operating minute ($95/MBF to $335/MBF) and gross profit margins ranging from $0.10/BF to $0.35/BF, five extra minutes of downtime per day will cost a sawmill that produces an average of 20,000 BF per day (5 MMBF annually) between $21 and $73 per day in profit. The average is $47, which represents the opportunity cost for the lumber that could have been produced during those 5 minutes.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
CitationWiedenbeck, Jan; Blackwell, Kyle. 2003. Hardwood sawmill downtime costs. Southern Lumberman 27-30
- Cost of Maple Sap Production for Various Size Tubing Operations
- Shaping-lathe roundup machine is key to profitable manufacture of composite sheathing panels in Massachusetts or Maine
- Shaping-lathe roundup machine is key to profitable manufacturing of composite sheathing panels in Massachusetts or Maine
XML: View XML