Skip to Main Content
Fumigant distribution in forest nursery soilsAuthor(s): Dong Wang; Stephen W. Fraedrich; Jennifer Juzwik; Kurt Spokas; Yi Zhang; William C. Koskinen
Source: Pest Manag Sci 62:263-273 (2006)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (352.53 KB)
DescriptionAdequate concentration, exposure time and distribution uniformity of activated fumigant gases are prerequisites for successful soil fumigation. Field experiments were conducted to evaluate gas phase distributions of methyl isothiocyanate (MITC) and chloropicrin (CP) in two forest-tree nurseries. Concentrations of MITC and CP in soil air were measured from replicated microplots that received dazomet, metam-sodium and CP. Half of the plots were covered with high-density polyethylene tarp immediately after fumigation; the other half were not covered but received daily sprinkler irrigation for 1 week to create and maintain a water seal. The magnitude of MITC concentrations was similar between nurseries for metam-sodium in both tarp and water seal treatments and for dazomet in the tarp treatment. Consistently greater MITC and CP concentrations were found in the upper 30cm of soil in the tarped plots compared with the water-sealed plots. Despite potential environmental and economic benefits with the water seal method, tarp covers were more reliable for achieving and maintaining higher MITC and CP concentrations and less prone to variations due to irrigation/rain, soil bulk density andother environmental conditions.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWang, Dong; Fraedrich, Stephen W.; Juzwik, Jennifer; Spokas, Kurt; Zhang, Yi; Koskinen, William C. 2006. Fumigant distribution in forest nursery soils. Pest Manag Sci 62:263-273 (2006)
Keywordsmethyl isothiocyanate, chloropicrin, dazomet, metam-sodium, fumigation, soil gas concentration
- Fumigant distribution in forest nursery soil under water seal and plastic film after application of dazomet, metam-sodium and chloropicrin
- Methyl isothiocyanate and chloropicrin concentrations in bareroot forest nursery soils and above soil surface treatments following fumigation
- Atmospheric emissions of methyl isothiocyanate and chloropicrin following soil fumigation and surface containment treatment in bare-root forest nurseries
XML: View XML