Skip to Main Content
Virulence of entomopathogenic hypocrealean fungi infecting Anoplophora glabripennisAuthor(s): Thomas Dubois; Jennifer Lund; Leah S. Bauer; Ann E. Hajek
Source: BioControl. 53: 517-528.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (255.11 KB)
DescriptionTwenty isolates of four species of entomopathogenic hypocrealean fungi (Beauveria bassiana, Beauveria brongniartii, Isaria farinosa, and Metarhizium anisopliae) were found to be pathogenic to adults of the Asian longhorned beetle, Anoplophora glabripennis. Survival times for 50% of the beetles tested (ST50) ranged from 5.0 (M. anisopliae ARSEF 7234 and B. brongniartii ARSEF 6827) to 24.5 (I. farinosa ARSEF 8411) days. Screening studies initially included strains of B. brongniartii, which is registered as a microbial control agent in Europe, Asia and South America but not in North America. At that time, we could not confirm that this fungal species is native to North America which added uncertainty regarding future registration of this species for pest control in the USA. Therefore, subsequent bioassays documented median survival times for three M. anisopliae isolates (5-6 days to death) and two of these isolates are suggested for further development because they are already registered for pest control in the USA.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
CitationDubois, Thomas; Lund, Jennifer; Bauer, Leah S.; Hajek, Ann E. 2008. Virulence of entomopathogenic hypocrealean fungi infecting Anoplophora glabripennis. BioControl. 53: 517-528.
KeywordsAnoplophora glabripennis, Asian longhorned beetle, Beauveria bassiana, Beauveria brongniartii, Metarhizium anisopliae, Entomopathogenic fungi, Biological control, Bioassay
- Evaluating the virulence and longevity of non-woven fiber bands impregnated with Metarhizium anisopliae against the Asian longhorned beetle, Anoplophora glabripennis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae)
- Susceptibility of two hymenopteran parasitoids of Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) to the entomopathogenic fungus Beauveria bassiana (Ascomycota: Hypocreales)
- Susceptibility of Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) to Beauveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae
XML: View XML