Skip to Main Content
Increasing the Efficiency of Maple Sap Evaporators with Heat ExchangersAuthor(s): Lawrence D. Garrett; Howard Duchacek; Mariafranca Morselli; Frederick M. Laing; Neil K. Huyler; James W. Marvin
Source: Res. Pap. NE-388. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 11p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.09 MB)
DescriptionA study of the engineering and economic effects of heat exchangers in conventional maple syrup evaporators indicated that: (1) Efficiency was increased by 15 to 17 percent with heat exchangers; (2) Syrup produced in evaporators with heat exchangers was similar to syrup produced in conventional systems in flavor and in chemical and physical composition; and (3) Heat exchangers reduce per unit production costs, and can yield greater production and higher profits.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGarrett, Lawrence D.; Duchacek, Howard; Morselli, Mariafranca; Laing, Frederick M.; Huyler, Neil K.; Marvin, James W. 1977. Increasing the Efficiency of Maple Sap Evaporators with Heat Exchangers. Res. Pap. NE-388. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 11p.
- Processing Maple Syrup with a Vapor Compression Distiller: An Economic Analysis
- A cost analysis: processing maple syrup products
- The cost of maple sugaring in Vermont
XML: View XML